You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘lazy lizard’ tag.
There are certain things about living in the East Mountains that are different than other areas. It’s the little things that I really like. Once you stop and talk to folks, you really learn a lot. Here are a few of the places that we frequent up here.
Molly’s bar, where I stop on the way home on occasion. It’s been a family business up in the mountains since the early 50’s. There is live music 5 nights a week.
- Dianne, the owner of Molly’s now. Daughter in law of the original owners. She’s in the bar most nights.
- Every once in a while a major film uses Molly’s as a movie set. Happened the other day for a movie called “Fast Color” that is due out in 2018. Molly’s got a free paint job on the inside from the set crew.
- Chrissy, she’s been there for 32 years. She’s a sweet lady. Her husband was a truck driver and one day a few years ago he laid down at the office and never got back up.
- Charlene, who gives me burritos and cheesecake that she makes and brings in. I’m spoiled
- Jake. Kid’s a hell of a guitar player. Used to work in the oil fields. He’s a regular now. Pulling a “Jake” is now the euphemism to helping the bar tenders take the trash out. 🙂
- Cowboy Scott. A carpenter, who at the age of 50, said F’ it. I want to sing and play guitar. Turns out the man has some pretty good talent. Love hearing him play.
- Steve Kinabrew. The local music organizer it seems. He’s part of a band called Odd Dog. Hand the man a guitar, tell him what song and he’ll either play it or back you up.
Burger Boy. The local burger joint in Cedar Crest.
- They always seemed to close so early, until we realized today that they open at 7am for breakfast.
- The morning waitress survived a brain aneurysm 7 years ago that left her unable to walk or talk. Now you wouldn’t even know she had a stroke.
- It’s pretty common to see Bernoulli police hanging out in there.
- One of the regulars this morning had a bunch of Military gear. IE Vietnam Vet hat, pins, etc. I noticed he had an Air Assault pin on his hat. So I coined him. We got to talking. He was in Nam in 68. Was there for the Tet offensive. We chatted a bit, his buddy sitting there was a captain in the Army in Nam. Signal Core.
- Watched a guy take a perfectly folded US Flag out to the flag pole out front and raise it.
Western Mercantile Feed Store
- We have an honest to goodness feed store in Tijeras
- Need live baby chicks? Ducks or Chicken?
- They sell fire starters in a dynamite box.
- During the big wild fire south of town they set up a temporary adoption program for all the various types of animals from dogs, cats, chickens, cows, horses, you name it. They had a place you could take your animals to keep them safe.
- One of the workers there is the stereo typical cowboy. Laid back, slow talking, hat wearing, good ole boy.
Ale Republic. Our first, and so far only brewery.
- Took over a year to get the permits to open the doors.
- Wesley the weekend bartender is in the UNM Paramedic program. Works at the bar for extra money
- Kelly, she works some weekends and is a stand in. She’s also in a medical program. Only CNM’s EMT program.
- Hank, one of the regulars, who used to hang out at the Lazy Lizard (local bar) works most summers as a miner in Alaska. Now he’s working a local farm with his brothers. They make a heck of a good sausage they serve occasionally at the Ale Republic. They get hops from the brewery to feed the pigs.
- I suggest the Sangre De Cristo half sandwich and soup.
- They are a higher class than most of the other places in Cedar Crest.
The Lazy Lizard
- I used to hang out there before the Ale Republic opened. Now, I only go up there every few weeks.
- Eric and Joe the dog are locals there. Eric has broken his neck not once, but twice. Southern boy. Georgia I believe. Nice guy. Drives a funky yellow convertible corvette.
- They repainted the place a grey color on the inside. It used to be a redish orange. I am not a fan of the grey.
- They make a great French Dip sandwich. All their sandwiches are named after types of snakes.