You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘1959 corvette trailer’ tag.

Well, this weekend was a bit of a “catch up on projects” kind of weekend.

I started by taking Megan’s 1974 Super beetle in for an oil change and tune up at M&M auto repair, about the only place around here that will work on an old bug. It was such a flash back to my childhood when Manuel, the bug guy, started tweaking and tuning the carb, timing, rpms, etc, all by ear. He’d give the throttle a quick tug, listen to how the engine responded, twist this, turn that, do it again, then rev up the engine slowly, tweak this, turn that, repeat a dozen times until satisfied. (-:

While I waited for them to finish on the bug I wandered over to home depot and picked up a programmable thermostat for the house. Our mid 60’s furnace leaves a lot to be desired. Here’s the old thermostat with a big old blob of mercury used as a switch.

From Projects

After the oil change and tune up I took Wally home and redid the front brakes because they kept squealing when cold, very annoying.

From Wally the Superbeetle

I put in new shoes and all new brake hardware.

From Wally the Superbeetle

I’m not real happy with the new brakes, they’re a bit mushy, but they don’t squeal and as things settle in and I continue to adjust hopefully the mushy feel will get better.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I broke a 1/2 inch craftsman ratchet. I haven’t tried to get it replaced yet, but here’s what I broke. I put my Blackberry phone in the picture as a reference to scale.

From Wally the Superbeetle

So, after working on the bug, replacing the thermostat, and some other odds and ends I decided to start work on the front window cover for the trailer. This is what that looks like so far. Still need to work on the arms holding it up and a lock down mechanism, but it’s getting there.  I’m trying to decide if I want to leave it silver or maybe paint it. Not sure yet.

From Projects

Blog Stats

  • 60,695 hits
October 2019
« Jun