So, since I’ve got a few days off work for Christmas I thought I would finally get around to trying to find the leak under the dash of Wally, our old super beetle. With all the rain we’ve been having I’ve had to pull the carpets out to keep them from molding. That and the fogging problem has been horrible.

After some muttering, cursing, and totally destroying the glove box, I finally got the dash completely out of the car.

From Wally the Superbeetle

And what should I find but an old mouse nest tucked up in the heating system.

From Wally the Superbeetle

After cleaning that out and pulling the heating ducts loose I get this.

From Wally the Superbeetle

Not looking too bad so far. But where the heck is my leak. Ahh, crap! Found it.

From Wally the Superbeetle

On both sides no less. The window sill on both sides is rusted clean through. This is going to be an ugly fix.

I spoke with Roberta and we both seriously thought about saying “bag it” Time to trash the money sucker. But, I’m going to strip the windows out and see what I can do. Not sure, maybe some fiberglass. I’ll have to update later.

So, note to self. If a 1974 Super Beetle starts leaking out from under the dash, run away.

Advertisements