Well, I think I finally figured out my vacuum leak. After trying everything and going through a crazy amount of starter fluid, with no luck, it seems I finally figured it out.

I was afraid to say anything at first because I had thought I’d found the problem several times now. Yet it kept coming back. This time it’s been 5 days and I’m still idling and running smooth.

The fix? The darn vacuum hose from the vacuum advance on the distributor to the carburetor was old and sloppy on the distributor side. So, under higher rpms it would suck just enough air for the motor to stumble. I saw this on the freeway mainly. But when I was working on the bug and spraying carb cleaner, brake cleaner, wd-40, and starter fluid all over the place trying to find the bloody leak, it wasn’t leaking because the motor wasn’t shaking and the vacuum pressure was too low to cause it to leak.

Let me tell ya, It was a bugger to find. Anyhow, it’s running good now. Knock on wood as we Americans would say, or Touch Wood as the Scottish folk would say.

Anyhow. Even as tempting as it was, I didn’t light the bug on fire, I just kept plugging away and finally found it. Although, setting it on fire and watching it burn was very, very, tempting.