Well, I finally got the sabatour out. I still don’t really know what it is. But here it is.

The Sabatour

The Sabatour

Looks like a screw without threads or a notch. Not really sure what it was. This is what it did to the piston though.

Damaged Piston

Damaged Piston

So far I have ordered the pistons, cylinders and rings. I went with the oversize, stock cylinder head fitting, 1641 cc pistons instead of the standard 1594 cc pistons. I understand it’s about a 10% increase in power for only $20 more. Not sure all the effects the larger pistons will have, but I did research quite a bit and understand it’s one of the most common upgrades.

Also I ordered exhaust valves, retaining clips, push rod seals,  and push rod tubes. I ordered an exhaust installation kit  which has all gaskets and bolts needed to put the exhaust back together. The original nuts and bolts were very rusty. I used a lot of gunk penetrating oil to get them loose. Soak, wait and hour, try to loosen, soak, wait an hour, loosen, etc. I actually got all the bolts off without breaking a single one. A miracle.

And finally I ordered a manifold boot kit. One of the manifold boots was cracked. Which might be why the thing wouldn’t idle correctly. Inability to idle at 900 rpm, rough idle, etc is an example of a beetle engine sucking air somewhere. Which could explain why the carburetor was so adjusted out of whack. The kid trying to make it run with an air leak.

Money spent so far on parts shipped in, $230.  Total money spent for paint, cleaners, misc, about $50. (excluding the $100 or so on tools. I had none to start with.)

Here’s what the Dog house and engine tins will end up looking like after being cleaned and painted.

Painted Engine Tin

Painted Engine Tin

Cleaned and Painted Cylinder Tins

Cleaned and Painted Cylinder Tins

Advertisements