Well, I spent Saturday demotoring Wally and then tearing the engine down. Here are a few pictures of the experience. One thing I did to make sure I get the wires back correctly was to take a lot of photos of each area of the engine BEFORE taking a single nut or bolt loose. (-:
Tools

Tools

Almost there. I have the engine loose and sitting only on a jack. 

Engine loose

Engine loose

After 2 hours and 2 trips over to Chucks to get the right sockets the engine is out of the car.

Engine out

Engine out

 The hardest part of the whole experience was getting the bloody motor up on the bench by myself. Definitely should be a two man lift.

Engine on Bench

Engine on Bench

To get the cylinder head off you start at the top of the motor and remove everything. Then get down to where you can get the cylinder head off.

Tore down motor

Tore down motor

And finally I get to the heart of the problem. A small piece of metal holding the valve open. Something that was dropped into the cylinder head during a sparkplug check I would imagine.

The Sabatour

The Sabatour

In the ARMY this would be called FOD. Or Foreign Object Damage. All this work for that little piece of metal. Looks like it might be the top from a sparkplug. I tried pulling it out with a pair of needle nose pliers but ended up just losing it behind the valve. I’ll get a valve spring compression tool tomorrow and pull the item out.
Then it’s time to put the motor back together. I need to order a gasket kit first and some misc pieces then I need to clean and clean and clean. I don’t think this engine has been cleaned since it was put into the car back in 1974. 35 years of crud build up. Yuck.
Advertisements