I picked up some tools on Friday and this morning I tore into Wally to see what was up. First thing I did was check for spark in all the holes. Yep. Looked okay. Then I did a compression test. 120, 110, 120, 0. Um. I think I found the problem.

Number 3 cylinder has zero compression. Something is definitely broken. I started the engine pull around lunch today and 2 1/2 hours later it was sitting in the garage. I took my time an figured things out on the fly with some help from Rob and Daves Aircooled Volkswagen site.

I didn’t remove the exhaust before dropping the motor, which made it a bit tight gettting it out, but it worked. I’ll try to post some pics later. Now it’s time to figure out what happened to cylinder 3.

Advertisements